Any current member of the Society of Decorative Painters may submit projects to be considered for publication.
We welcome the opportunity to consider original, unpublished artwork* of all skills levels in any medium on any paintable surface.
- Medium examples: acrylic, oil, heat-set oil, alkyd, watercolor, fabric paint, colored pencil, faux finish, pastel, enamel, mixed media, pen and ink, mechanical pencil, etc.
- Surface examples: wood, tin, porcelain, glass, paper, canvas, fabric, etc.
Provide only the following information for your submission:
Do not send original works of art, including line drawings or painted step-by-step worksheets, unless specifically instructed to do so by a member of the editorial staff.
- Brief explanation of the process used to create the artwork
- Skill level of the project
- Surface and medium used
- Dimensions of the finished work
- Photographs of the finished work*
You may submit an artwork for consideration to the attention of Jennifer Arnold by either email to Jennifer@decorativepainters.org, or postal mail to:
Tips For First Time Contributors
- Check recent issues for examples of successful submissions.
- Our readership is interested in classic subject matter and technique, as well as art that incorporate modern and emerging products, trends and styles.
- Seasonal or holiday theme projects are accepted throughout the year.
- Strong consideration will be given to projects featuring unusual, unique or interesting surfaces or techniques.
- Above all, the editorial staff looks for inventive, original and well-executed painting.
Potential contributors are notified at the editorial staff’s earliest opportunity, generally within four months. A follow-up email or phone call is both appropriate and welcomed.
Don’t be discouraged if your project isn’t chosen. We receive a high volume of submissions. Keep in mind that many artists who now appear in the publication regularly were accepted only after several tries.
Artists of accepted projects will receive a contract by mail assigning first-time rights to their artwork to The Decorative Painter. Also included will be crucial deadlines.
Accepted artists will be compensated $200. Payment is generally made once the magazine in which your artwork is featured is published and mailed.
For questions or more information, please contact Jennifer Arnold at (316) 269-9300 or Jennifer@decorativepainters.org.